Learning new gardening tips is always helpful when we are trying new things in our gardens. They might just give us some new ideas!
Here are ten gardening tips that will help in all different types of gardens.
1. Beneficial bacteria from seaweed and fish fertilizers are helpful in preparing soil for pots or in the garden. These add needed nutrients to potting soils and will kick start the garden soil.
2. Germinating seed in a baggie or small plastic container will give the plants a head start. It also provides on viable plants to be placed into the garden. No more waiting for plants to sprout only to find out the seed were not viable to germinate.
3. If we use plastic containers in our garden or as starter pots, then using a soldering iron to melt drain holes in the bottom is quick and easy.
4. Putting aspirin into the water that is used on your tomato plants will help control fungal diseases. Just make sure to water the leaves thoroughly.
5. Aspirin is also an organic compound and has great uses!
6. Egg shells are great addition to the compost pile. They add calcium and nutrients to the compost pile that plants will need.
7. Epsom salt is great when growing peppers, eggplant and tomatoes. Soils that are deficient in magnesium and sulfur will need to amended and using Epsom salt will add these to the soil.
8. If we want whiter cauliflowers for the table all we need to do is to bunch the leaves of the plant around the cauliflower head and use gardening tape to hold them there.
9. Reuse the plant tags we use in the garden. Save a little money and use rubbing alcohol to remove black marker from plastic garden tags.
10. Use the lawn mower to shred the leaves and left over garden waste before we add it to the compost pile. This give more surface are for the bacteria to work on to help decomposition. Quicker results from the pile.
Watch the video from California Gardening to see amounts and directions on the use of these items in the garden. It is a short and informative video.